Heating and electrical equipment are some of the top causes for structure fires in the United States, especially in homes. It’s important to stay aware when using appliances like space heaters. But there’s more.
Space heaters should be setup at least a few feet away from furniture or other combustible objects. Check the equipment and clean it regularly. It is a good idea to make sure the appliance is turned off, or even unplugged whenever you leave your home. Cleaning your space heater can be done by spraying compressed air throughout the inside and vents to get rid of dust and debris that may accumulate. You may need to remove the front cover to do so. While many modern space heaters have safety shut offs built in, it is still a good idea to turn it off when it will not be monitored.
It’s important to know who to call following damage from fire, smoke, or soot to restore your personal possessions and property. The restoration professionals at Trilink Restoration are here to help! Call us at (405) 525-5465 today!
Annual cleaning is also important for your chimney to help remove any chance of malfunctions. Consider the age of the home and chimney as well as the types of materials burned, as they could also affect how often the chimney should be cleaned. Older chimneys may require more frequent attention.
Two causes of house fires that fall into the “Don’t Leave Unattended” category are cooking and candles. Ensure proper ventilation when cooking and never leave lit candles unattended, as something as simple as a spark can lead to a fire disaster.
Stay warm this winter, and do it safely.